What are the 30 NMDS-SC Job Roles?

The following provides guidance for both organisations and for people who employ their own care andsupport staff. Unless otherwise specified, include trainees under the job role they are training for.

1. Senior Management


Chief Executive • Director • Proprietor • Owner Manager
(Job role only relevant for organisations).


Occupations whose main tasks consist of the leadership, direction and co-ordination of the functioning of the social care organisation at a strategic level, including the functioning of any internal departments and sections, often with the help of subordinate managers and supervisors. Includes Working Proprietors and Owner Managers of small businesses. The work includes some or all of:

• overall responsibility for meeting legal requirements and National Minimum Standards

• overall responsibility for service users’ experience of care

• overall responsibility for the quality of the work of staff

• determining staffing and financial needs and managing budgets

• monitoring, maintaining and improving care provision

• overall responsibility for the health and safety of staff and service users


A significant amount of knowledge of the service requirements associated with the efficient functioning of the organisation, and previous experience of working in a care or health setting. They may have a mixture of qualifications, which could include a professional social work qualification, nursing, medical or management qualifications.

2. Middle Management


Assistant Director • Manager • Department Head • Area Manager • Project Manager (service provision)
(Job role only relevant for organisations).


Occupations whose main tasks consist of assisting with the direction and co-ordination of the functioning of the social care organisation, including the management of any internal departments and sections, with the help of subordinate managers and supervisors as required. The work includes some or all of:

·        responsibility for meeting legal requirements and National Minimum Standards

·        employing, supervising and managing staff

·        responsibility for the quality of the work of staff

·        determining staffing and financial needs and managing budgets

·        monitoring, maintaining and improving service provision

·        responsibility for the health and safety of staff

·        involvement in individual staff training and development plans


A significant amount of knowledge of the service requirements associated with the efficient functioning of

the organisation. May have a mixture of qualifications which could include a professional social work qualification, management and professional qualifications.

3. First Line Manager


Team Leader Team Manager Officer in Charge Service Manager Service Co-ordinator Matron (NB not NHS Modern Matrons) Playgroup Leader Residential Warden Residential Unit Manager

Also includes:

• Assistant and Deputy Managers of above types • Senior Social Workers with staff management responsibilities

• Recipients of Direct Payments who employ Personal Assistants

Does NOT include Registered Managers (see Category 4). A First Line Manager who is also a Registered Manager should be recorded as a Registered Manager.

In the NHS, qualified healthcare staff are categorised as practitioners even if they have some management responsibilities
(Job role only relevant for organisations).


Management of day to day provision of social care service(s).

A First Line Manager’s role is to:

·        manage the primary tasks and activities of the organisation

·        have a key role in determining whether standards of practice are being consistently maintained

·        support staff engaged in complex, personally-demanding work and ensure that staff are continually developed in knowledge-based practice

First Line Managers may also be involved in any or all of care planning, needs assessment, individual staff training plans and in meeting National Minimum Standards. Contact with service users usually relates to these aspects of their work rather than front line work at a supervisory level (see Category 5). Includes Team Managers who manage an establishment with a number of staff, provide appraisal and supervision, manage budgets and are the only manager within the establishment, but also provide direct care.


Knowledge of service requirements and previous experience of working in a care or health setting.

They may have a mixture of qualifications, which could include a professional social work qualification, nursing, medical, or management qualifications. Topss England Leadership & Management Strategy

recommends that First Line Managers should have a minimum Level 4 management qualification.

4. Registered Manager


Registered Manager: includes all designated Registered Managers, even if their managerial responsibilities may be better described by the previous 3 categories
(Job role only relevant for organisations).


This role is defined by the Care Standards Act 2000. Under this Act, the Registered Manager is responsible for the social care provision that he/she is managing.


A Registered Manager would have previous experience of working in a care or health setting, and may have a mixture of qualifications which could include social work, nursing, medical or management qualifications. Under the Care Standards Act 2000, Registered Managers are required to have a minimum qualification that includes a vocational qualification, e.g. in Care or Health & Social Care, at level 4 plus a management qualification such as Registered Manager’s Award.

5. Supervisor


Supervisor • Care Officer • Care Supervisor • Supervisor of specific services, e.g. Meals on Wheels Supervisor
(Job role only relevant for organisations).


This role involves supervision of the work of care workers and other front line workers and operational staff, including volunteers, and usually also involves some front line work with service users.

Supervisors can also be involved in any of :

·        the design of individual care programmes for service users, working as part of a team with the manager and care workers and liaising with occupational therapists or social workers

·        taking some responsibility for the smooth running of the care service

·         administration and budgeting Supervisors normally report to a Front Line Manager.


Knowledge and experience of the work being supervised. Normally a NVQ level 3 qualification, plus relevant specific qualifications such as Food Hygiene Certificate, Moving and Positioning (Handling).

6. Social Worker


The term "Social Worker" is a protected title and can only be used by someone who is registered by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) having been awarded a professional qualification in social work.  This job role covers Social Workers in all settings e.g. field, Approved, medical, psychiatric, mental health, child protection, children & families, fostering & adoption

Includes: Care Manager, Care Navigator, Care Broker, Case Manager, Consultant (NHS)

Senior Practitioner and other senior social work roles which do not involve management of staff
(Job role only relevant for organisations).


Provide people with advice and emotional support and arrange care services to help people:

·        live more successfully within their local communities

·        adjust to changes in their lives, caused by illness,

·        age-related problems, disability or bereavement

·        with problems like depression, anxiety, schizophrenia and personality disorders

Social workers assess needs, develop care packages and review interventions. They usually operate as part of a team responsible for a number of cases, each requiring a different approach. Social workers operate within a complex legal framework associated with different service user groups, and work closely with organisations such as the police, health services, schools and probation services.

Social workers who specialise, e.g. in advocacy, youth offending, counselling, may be better included under these more specialise roles.

Care Manager, Care Navigator, Care Broker, Case Manager Job titles used in some organisations for professional social workers who provide an assessment, care planning and care management service to service users, and work in partnership with statutory and independent sector agencies to deliver appropriate services. They assess the needs of service users and carers and devise individual care plans, provide information and advice on resources available to service users and make recommendations about particular services. They manage the social care of service users, following the agreed care plan, coordinate services and support, and review care plans with service users at agreed intervals with the team manager. All NHS employed social workers should be included here, even if they have staff management responsibilities.


A degree in social work approved by the HCPC, or previous professional qualifications including the Diploma in Social Work (DipSW), CSS, CQSW, which are still recognised (see data items relating to qualifications in the NMDS-SC) Various post-qualifying awards are also available.

Social workers are required by the HCPC as part of their registration to undertake continued professional development during their career.

7. Senior Care Worker


Senior Care Worker • Senior Care Assistant
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


As Care Worker/Assistant, with the additional duties of front line supervision and monitoring of care workers and care assistants. The Senior Care Worker will often be in charge of a shift of workers and will take responsibility for the smooth running of the service whilst they are on duty. They respond to emergencies and provide guidance and support to care workers.


Senior Care Workers often have a background in social care and might have achieved their NVQ in Care level 2/3. It is a requirement that they are qualified to an appropriate level and this is usually NVQ level 3.

Some may have nursing qualifications.

8. Care Worker


Care Worker • Care Assistant • Care Staff in all settings: care homes, day care, domiciliary care, home care, residential child care

Includes: Driver/Care Assistant • Bus Escort • Personal Assistant to recipient of Direct Payments • Activity Worker In some residential settings, e.g. in learning disability, the job title Support Worker is used to cover this role. The term ‘Residential Social Worker’ may also still be in use (professionally qualified social workers are in Category 6).

In health settings jobs include Health Care Assistant, Nursing Auxiliary, Auxiliary Nurse, Clinical Support Worker, Therapy Assistant, Therapy Helper, Trainee Assistant Practitioner and Assistant Practitioner.
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


Care Workers/Assistants are the front line staff in all care settings. They work with all types of service users receiving direct care. Their duties vary depending on the needs of the service user but can include:

·        Assisting and enabling:

o       washing and dressing

o       taking food and refreshment

o       mobility

o       toileting

o       bed making

·        Generally assisting with the service users’ overall comfort and well being

·        Providing interest and activities to stimulate and engage the service user

·        Helping service users to live independently as far as possible

·        Monitoring service users’ conditions by taking temperature, pulse, respiration and weight.

·        Contributing to record keeping

Care Workers work as part of a larger team and are supervised by a manager or senior care worker. Their work is defined by a care plan, which is developed by a social worker or care manager to meet the assessed needs of the service user.

Personal Assistants:

Personal Assistants work with one or more service users, often Direct Payments Recipients, to support them in every aspect of their daily living and enabling them to live independently.

Health settings:

Healthcare Workers work under the guidance of a qualified healthcare professional. The role can be very varied depending upon the area in which the person is employed. Working alongside nurses, for example, they may sometimes be known as Nursing Auxiliaries or Auxiliary Nurses.

Support Workers/Assistants;

Healthcare Workers working alongside Allied Health Professionals (AHPs) such as physiotherapists, podiatrists, speech and language therapists etc. are known as Clinical Support Workers, sometimes as Therapy Assistants or Therapy Helpers. Their duties (depending upon the form of therapy) include:

·        Preparing patients for their therapy

·        Setting up equipment to use in the session/treatment

·        Assisting the therapist in the treatment itself

·        Contributing to record keeping

Note that Occupational Therapy Assistants are included under Occupational Therapy (No. 15).


There are no specific minimum entry qualifications for the job. Care Workers will undergo a Criminal Records Check to determine their suitability to work with vulnerable people, and are required to complete industry-standard induction training. Training is also given in food hygiene, first aid, manual handling and other aspects of health and safety. For some jobs, e.g. in residential child care, there are minimum age requirements.

It is a regulatory requirement that some Care Workers eventually achieve NVQ level 2 in Care / Health & Social Care. Experienced or ‘specialist’ Care Workers achieve a NVQ in Care / Health & Social Care at level 3 with modules that reflect their specialist area of practice. Health Care Assistants and Auxiliary Nurses may have the opportunity to obtain an NVQ qualification in Health & Social Care up to level 3. Often, obtaining NVQ level 2 will lead to the person having more responsibility in terms of the role they are fulfilling; an NVQ Level 3 will meet the minimum entry requirements for entry into nurse training.

AHP Support Workers may also have the opportunity to obtain an NVQ in Support Services.

9. Community, Support and Outreach Work


A wide range of job titles including: Social Work Assistant • Social Services Officer • Community Support Worker • Home Care Support Worker • Mental Health Support Worker • Rehabilitation Worker (Visual Impairment) • Mental Health Outreach Worker • Children & Families Outreach Worker • Community Outreach Worker • Community Development Worker • Substance Misuse Worker • Youth Worker • Outreach Development Worker Includes: trainee social workers and social work assistants and NHS STR (Support, Time and Recovery) workers

Does NOT include: NHS ‘Support’ Workers who are included under Care Workers ‘Support Workers’ in some residential services whose role predominantly involves personal care and should therefore be classified as Care Workers
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


The role of these workers is to help people overcome difficulties, cope with many aspects of everyday living (apart from education, employment and welfare rights – see separate Job Roles), develop socially and personally and live as independently as possible. Their work is predominantly support and enabling, rather than predominantly personal care (see Care Worker), and involves providing advice and guidance as part of a range of support activities rather than a specialist service (see Advice, Guidance and Advocacy).

They work in teams with other professionals, including managers, social workers, other outreach and community support workers, drug action groups, youth offending services, and with the police, education authority and schools, health authorities, housing departments etc. They provide support and guidance in various ways, including individual support and counselling via such activities as shopping with service users taking them to appointments, teaching Braille or how to use a long cane to get about, developing everyday skills such as how to make a cup of tea or prepare and cook a meal safely, or simply being with them in their home environment. Other ways of providing support and guidance include organising activities such as sports, drama and educational activities; group discussions; compiling and disseminating information. These workers usually have a number of service users that they get to know very well. Some work in residential homes with long or short-term care residents, others provide support within the local community for service users who are in supported housing or living independently. They can specialise in:

Mental health: supporting people with long-term mental health problems, helping them adapt to ordinary life within the community by developing coping skills rather than being institutionalised in a hospital or hostel. They may work within the service user’s home, outside in the local area, on the wards of the local hospital, and in community or day centres.

Young people: working in youth clubs, drop-in centres, residential homes and elsewhere, helping young people at risk through drug and alcohol abuse, offending behaviour and the whole business of growing up.

Substance misuse: providing a specialist service to children, young people and their families who present a range of agencies with substance misuse problems.

Families: visiting homes where parents are struggling to cope and where children are in danger from their own behaviour or that of others.


Variable. For some roles no formal entry level qualifications, but a GNVQ in Health and Social Care is an advantage and entrants need to be literate and numerate. Previous experience of working with people in a social care/support setting can be very useful. For others it is necessary to have at least one year’s experience of working/caring for people with problems, and be willing to undertake further training. NVQ level 3 in Care is desirable, or be working towards an NVQ relevant to this area of work. For yet other roles it is essential to have a particular qualification, such as NVQ 3 or 4 in Care or Health & Social

10. Employment Support


Day Work Worker • Supported Employment Worker • Employment Training Officer • Employment Support Worker • Employment Adviser • Inclusion Worker
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


This role specialises in supporting service users in obtaining and continuing in employment.

Employment Support staff identify employment opportunities for people with disabilities or the long-term unemployed by contacting employers, finding out about job openings and trying to match them up with service users whose skills and abilities they have assessed. They may also help with practical matters such as preparing CVs and coaching in interview skills. In addition, they assess any support service users may need in carrying out their job – such as special equipment, adaptations or help with personal care.

Employment support staff also work with employers, helping ease transition into the workplace and/or helping create individual training programmes, if required. They may arrange training for service users before putting them forward for work. Part of the job involves regular communication with local employers to keep up-to-date with opportunities, and putting forward the idea of employing someone who is long-term unemployed (but perhaps newly retrained) or with a disability


Various. Employment advisers need to have good people skills and some knowledge/experience of benefits and services available for the long-term unemployed and/or people with disabilities. Specific academic qualifications may be less important than life and career experience.

Employment advisers often work towards NVQs/SVQs at level 3. For working with people with disabilities, NVQs/SVQs level 3 in Care or Training and Development are common examples

11. Advice, Guidance and Advocacy

JOBS INCLUDED: Welfare Rights Officer • Advocacy Worker • Advocate • Court Liaison Officer
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


This is a specialised role focussing on matters related to legislation. Staff work on housing benefit, disabled living allowances, help for single parents with child benefits, council tax, employment benefit, sick pay, rent support, bereavement benefits, industrial injuries claims, etc. and may also deal

with exemptions from certain charges (for prescriptions for example), concessions, free or low cost services and free aids, appliances and facilities, to advise service users and help those eligible to receive their full entitlement.

Their work includes:

·        making an assessment of a service user's situation

·        researching information using reference material and relevant websites

·        giving advice on social security and tax credits legislation in confidential interviews, over the telephone, or by letter or email

·        writing reports and/or appeal submissions

·        representing claimants at tribunals and similar bodies

·         providing support to service users getting their voices heard in planning for individual care or for  service development

12. Educational Support

JOBS INCLUDED: Learning Mentor • Education Welfare Officer • Connexions Personal Adviser • Careers Adviser • Outdoor Education Worker
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


This group of workers supports service users while they are within the education system.

Personal advisers in the Connexions Service provide information, advice, guidance and support to young people during their teenage years and as they move into adult life. They aim to help young people between 13 and 19 achieve their full potential, especially in learning. Much of the work involves direct contact with young people, working intensively on a one-to-one basis and less intensively with larger groups. Other tasks include liaising with outside organisations, working with parents and carers, and administration.

Learning mentors provide guidance to school children, college students and sometimes adults. The range of tasks may include:

·        helping with school work

·        advising on financial matters

·        helping young people to plan for the future

·        providing emotional support

Learning mentors work closely with teachers, parents, social workers, local government workers, careers advisors and fellow learning mentors.


Variable. Fully-qualified personal advisers have an NVQ/SVQ level 4 in a relevant professional discipline and extra training for Connexions. Experience of working with young people is important.

People generally work as learning mentors after gaining experience in other fields such as social work, counselling, teaching or youth welfare. Some authorities or companies may ask for qualifications such as English and maths (GCSEs/S) grades. Mature applicants are often welcomed and there is no set age limit.

13. Youth Offending Support

JOBS INCLUDED: Youth Offending Team (YOT) Officer • Youth Justice Officers • Social Workers (Youth Offending) • Youth Offending Support Worker • Intermediate Treatment Worker • Reparation Worker • Substance Misuse Worker
(Job role only relevant for organisations).


The role of Youth Offending Teams (YOT) is to prevent young people from committing crime and to help offenders and their parents or guardians/carers to look at the possible causes of their behaviour so that it doesn't happen again.

They work with young people - mainly 10-18 year olds – who are at various stages of the criminal justice system. Youth Offending Teams are multi-agency, made up of staff seconded from social services, police, health, probation, youth service and education welfare.


A professional social work qualification is often the minimum entry requirement, although some employers accept nationally recognised youth work or teaching qualifications. Experience of working with young people through the childcare or criminal justice system and a sound knowledge of both childcare and youth justice legislation can be an advantage.

14. Counsellor

(Job role only relevant for organisations).

Counsellors give people the opportunity to work through their feelings in complete confidence, by listening to what they have to say, and asking them questions to find out more. They offer counselling to people seeking help for various reasons, e.g. coming to terms with the death of someone close, making life changes or wanting support to cope with a stressful workplace. Some counsellors specialise, e.g. in relationship difficulties, AIDS, drug or alcohol misuse, or with particular age groups. Counsellors either work for organisations such as schools, colleges, youth agencies, the voluntary sector and the NHS, or are self-employed. Many work part time or are volunteers.


It is necessary to fulfil the requirements of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) Counsellor / Psychotherapist Accreditation Scheme.

15. Occupational Therapist

JOBS INCLUDED: Occupational Therapist, Specialist OT Practitioner • OT Assistant

Can work in any of the following service areas: physical rehabilitation; mental health; learning disability; primary care; paediatrics; environmental adaptation; care management; equipment for daily living; housing. Includes Consultants in Occupational Therapy employed in the NHS.
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


Occupational therapy is the assessment and treatment of physical and psychiatric conditions using specific, purposeful activity to prevent disability and promote independent function in all aspects of daily life. Occupational Therapists work with people of all ages to help them overcome the effects of disability caused by physical or psychological illness, ageing or accident. They assess the disabled person and their carer/s to ascertain what is needed to increase independence. This may include provision of specialist equipment, or adaptations to the property, or advice on re-housing. It may also include functional treatment to improve range of movement, coping with perceptual or cognitive deficits, coping with sensory loss or mobility impairment.

Occupational Therapists also have knowledge of housing design and give advice to housing departments on mobility and wheelchair housing.

OT Assistants assist Occupational Therapists.


The professional qualification required is a degree or two year postgraduate diploma in occupational therapy. Practising Occupational Therapists have to be registered with the Health Professions Council.

OT Assistants are not required to have qualifications but would be expected to work towards NVQs.

16. Registered Nurse


In social care settings: nursing roles

In the NHS, includes the following roles: Nurse Consultant • Modern Matron • Nurse Manager • Registered sick children’s nurse • Registered Midwife • Health Visitor
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


Works predominantly on health care, rather than personal care, in the following areas:

·        Acute, General & Elderly (adults) caring for adults, elderly people and others who are ill, injured or have physical disabilities.

·        Paediatric (children’s) caring for babies, children and adolescents who are ill, injured or have physical disabilities.

·        Maternity and Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU) nurses caring for newborns.

·        Community Learning Disabilities and Other Learning Disabilities nurses work with people with learning difficulties to help them become as independent as possible.

·         Community Psychiatry and Other Psychiatry (Mental Health) nurses help people suffering from mental health problems, e.g. personality disorders, neuroses, phobias, acute anxiety, alcohol dependency, severe eating disorders and depression.

·        Community Services: Practice Nurses are usually employed within a primary healthcare team and work with individuals and groups registered with the practice population, assessing, planning and evaluating nursing care to meet the needs of the population.

·        Education Services: School Nurses: role includes searching out health-related learning needs of children, adolescents and their families.


Diploma (3 years) or BSc Degree (3-4 years) in Nursing (half theory & half practice).

17. Allied Health Professional (other than Occupational Therapist)


• Physiotherapist• Chiropodist / Podiatrist • Dietitian / Nutritionist • Drama Therapist• Dance Therapist • Speech and Language Therapist • Art Therapist • Play Therapist • Prosthetist • Orthotist • Orthoptist • Psychologist • Psychotherapist
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).

ROLE DESCRIPTION Physiotherapist

Assess and treat people with physical problems caused by accident, ageing, disease or disability, using physical approaches in the alleviation of all aspects of the person's condition.

TRAINING ROUTE/QUALIFICATIONS: Degree in physiotherapy, or 2 year MSc for graduates of biological or sports science, leading to state registration.

ROLE DESCRIPTION Chiropodist/Podiatrist

Diagnose and treat abnormalities of the foot. They give professional advice on prevention of foot problems and on proper care of the foot.

TRAINING ROUTE/QUALIFICATIONS Full-time degree in chiropody/podiatry.

ROLE DESCRIPTION Dietitian/Nutritionist

Translate the science of nutrition into practical information about food. They work with people to promote nutritional well being, prevent food related problems and treat disease.

TRAINING ROUTE/QUALIFICATIONS Degree in dietetics and/or nutrition. Graduates of e.g. physiology or biochemistry may study 2 year postgraduate course.


Work with older people, disturbed adolescents, psychiatric patients or physically and mentally disabled people of all ages to help improve their balance, speech and overall basic social and life skills.


Postgraduate course in drama therapy (available full or part-time), including theoretical and workshop study with work experience.


Use dance to help people express their feelings, build up their confidence and develop their potential.


Postgraduate course in dance movement therapy

ROLE DESCRIPTION Speech and Language Therapist

Work with people with communication and/or swallowing difficulties.


Degree in subject like speech and language therapy, clinical communication studies or speech pathology and therapy and speech sciences. One year supervised work before becoming registered with the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists.


Provide a psychotherapeutic intervention which enables people to effect change and growth by the use of art materials to gain insight and promote the resolution of difficulties.


Postgraduate qualification (usually Diploma) in art therapy or art psychotherapy, following first degree in art and design (or similar) and/or psychology.


Help children to explore their feelings, to express themselves and to make sense of their life experiences.


Usual entrance via social work or occupational therapy, undertaking a course validated by British Association of Play Therapists.


Provide care and advice on rehabilitation for patients who have lost or who were born without a limb, fitting the best possible artificial replacement.


Full-time 4 year degree BSc in prosthetics and orthotics, with final year spent in clinical practice.


Design and fit orthoses (calipers, braces etc.) which provide support to part of a patient's body, to compensate for paralysed muscles, provide relief from pain or prevent physical deformities from progressing.


Full-time 4 year degree BSc in prosthetics and orthotics, with final year spent in clinical practice.


Diagnose and treat eye movement disorders and defects of binocular vision.


3 year full-time degree course. NHS work requires state registration


Study the human mind and the way it affects personality, learning, behaviour and physical health. Help people to reduce the psychological distress caused by problems like depression, relationship breakdown, illness or stress at work.


Degree in psychology followed (usually after a year of relevant work experience, e.g. as a care assistant or ‘nightline’ helper) by a postgraduate qualification to become a Chartered Psychologist as awarded by the British Psychological Society.

ROLE DESCRIPTION Psychotherapist

Help people suffering from emotional or personal difficulties such as anxiety, phobias, eating disorders or depression, by listening to clients, drawing attention to patterns of behaviour and encouraging self-understanding. Can work as Child Psychotherapist or Adult Psychotherapist - for the latter must be a Clinical Psychologist or Psychiatrist specialising in psychotherapy.


Degree in psychology and some professional experience in a relevant field (e.g. education, social work, psychiatric nursing) in order to enter postgraduate training.

18. Nursery Nurse


Nursery Nurse • Early Years Specialist • Nanny
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


Nursery nurses are qualified to work unsupervised with and to take responsibility for the children in their care. They provide care and education for children aged between birth and eight years old. They use knowledge of child development to plan and supervise play and work activities, which help children learn and develop. Their duties depend on the age of the children they care for. With babies, a lot of the work involves physical care. With toddlers, pre-school and older children they also focus on developing language skills and encouraging exploration of the world through play.


Various, including Diploma in Nursery Nursing, NVQ level 3 in Early Years Care and Education, Advanced Diploma in Child Care and Education.

19. Childcare Worker or Childcare Assistant


Nursery Assistant • Nursery Worker • Childcare Assistant • Childcare Worker • Early Years Level 2 Worker • Playworker • Assistant Playworker  • Childminder
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


Nursery Workers / Assistants assist Nursery Nurses in promoting the physical, social, intellectual and emotional development of children in their care. They are NOT qualified/allowed to work with children unsupervised. Playworkers plan, organise and supervise play and activities for children and young people, with the aim of enabling children to experiment through play and participate in imaginative play, sports, drama, music, outdoor activities, cooking or creative activities.

Most playwork is needed after school, at weekends and during school holidays. Playwork settings include schools, community centres, adventure playgrounds, church halls, play buses and leisure centres. A Registered Childminder looks after children in the childminder’s own home. Childminders cater for children's physical, educational, social and emotional needs by providing a warm, caring, secure environment, with stimulating play and learning activities.


No formal qualifications required, but most employers would encouraged workers to register for and progress to NVQ level 2 in Early Years Care and Education. There are various qualifications, e.g. Council for Awards in Children's Care and Education (CACHE) Certificate in Child Care and Education, which are welcomed in such posts.


As part of the National Daycare Standards, all childminders in England must complete a preparatory training course and a paediatric first aid course recognised by their local authority. Ideally these should be taken before the childminder’s registration with Ofsted is completed but may be taken up to six months from the date on their registration certificate.

Currently, there is no requirement for an accredited qualification but childminders are strongly encouraged to work towards a relevant level 3 qualification.

20. Teacher (qualified)


Nursery Teacher • School Teacher
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


School teachers help children and young people to develop their abilities and achieve their full potential. They can choose to teach a particular age group, and this determines the type of school they work in and the subjects they teach. The age groups are:

·        Nursery and primary school nursery classes (three to five year olds): teachers usually take their class for all lessons

·        Primary (5 to 11 year olds): teachers teach most subjects to the same class

·         Secondary (11 to 16 year olds, 11 to 19 if the school has a sixth form): teachers usually teach only one or two subjects to different classes.


The route to qualifying as a teacher in England and Wales is through an Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course to obtain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). The main ways of training are a first degree course leading to QTS/TQ or a first degree followed by a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)

21. Educational Assistant


Educational Assistant • Teaching Assistant • Classroom Assistant • General Assistant • Learning Support Assistant • Literacy and Numeracy Support • Special Needs Support • Minority Ethnic Pupil Support
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


Non-teaching staff regularly employed to support teachers and pupils in the classroom. Work includes supervising small groups of children undertaking learning activities, assisting individual children to complete learning tasks, handling routine classroom administrative duties, assisting in managing pupil behaviour around the school, dealing with minor accidents.

Assistants are based in primary, secondary or special schools. In primary and special schools they may be mainly responsible for supporting one child or a small group of children with special needs, or be attached to a particular class. In secondary schools they are more likely to be working with one child across all areas of the curriculum. Some employing authorities in urban areas appoint staff to a central pool and deploy them to schools as required.


No entry qualifications required. Many schools prefer older entrants with previous child-care experience. Many teaching assistants are employed directly by the school or local education authority (LEA) and train on the job. There are a number of training opportunities and qualifications available including NVQs/SVQs levels 2 and 3 for teaching assistants and classroom assistants and vocationally-related qualifications such as CACHE or BTEC levels 2 and 3 certificates. There is a Foundation Degree for higher level Teaching Assistants.

A minimum age gap between Teaching Assistants and pupils may apply.

22. Technician


Equipment Technician • Equipment Aid • Rehabilitation Officer • Rehabilitation Engineer • Hearing  Technician • Guide Dog Assistant • IT Technician • School Laboratory Assistant • School Technician

Does not include technicians who have no involvement with service users – these are included under Ancillary Staff
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


Work for and with service users on the provision, use and maintenance of appropriate aids and equipment of all types, including electronic and electro-mechanical equipment. Technicians work with health and social care professionals and other members of teams to identify and meet service users’ needs. The work may include some or all of:

·        involvement in service user assessment

·        adjusting and explaining equipment

·        maintaining and servicing equipment

·        ensuring performance and safety

·        monitoring and recording service user activity and progress

·         custom manufacture of aids such as wheelchairs and speech synthesisers for individual service users


No specific minimum entry requirements, but employers usually expect 4GCSE's (A-C), science A-Level/s, BTEC in electronics or an engineering degree.

23. Other job roles directly involved in providing care.


Directly care-providing job roles not covered by any of the above categories.
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


Directly care-providing job roles not covered by any of the preceding categories 1-22.

24. Managers and staff in care-related but not care providing roles.


Wide range at all levels
(Job role only relevant for organisations).


A range of roles which are specific to social care and need a high level of knowledge of the care provision activities of the organisation, but are not directly involved in providing care. Included are jobs involving:

·        Training and staff development

·        Assessment e.g. of NVQs

·        Practice learning management

·        Compliance, verification, quality control, quality assurance, standards, procedures, Best Value, performance assessment and review

·        Procurement, commissioning, contracting, payments

·        Liaison and coordination between different organisations, e.g. in multi-agency working, partnership working

·        Research and planning

·        Customer relations, complaints

Includes staff at all levels including those with management responsibilities in these work areas.

25. Administration / office staff (not providing care)


Personnel Officer • HR Manager • Clerical Worker • Receptionist • Secretary • Personal Assistant to Manager (NB not re. Independent Living) • WP Operator • Data Entry staff • Information and Communications Technology (ICT) • Accountant • Librarian • Interpreter • Analyst • Adviser • Researcher • Control Assistant • Architect • Lawyer • Surveyor • Marketing • other administrative jobs
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


Administrative and office roles which are not specific to social care and can be found in many different types of organisation, including:

·        Personnel and Human Resources (HR)

·        IT, ICT

·        Finance and accounting

·        Information services

·        Health and safety

·        Transport services / fleet management (but drivers are Ancillary staff in category 26)

·        Marketing, promotion, business development

·        Interpreting service

Includes staff at all levels including those with management responsibilities in these work areas.



26. Ancillary staff (not providing care)


Domestic Assistant • Domestic Staff • Cleaning Staff • Catering staff, Cook • Estate / premises management and maintenance staff • Driver, other transport staff • Housekeeper • Porter • Telephonist • Gardener/Grounds-person • Electrician • Fitter • Labourer • Plumber • Carpenter • Bricklayer • Painter/Decorator • Work Analyst • Chargehand • Works Supervisor • Engineer • Building Officer • Handyperson • Maintenance Craftsperson • Building Craftsperson • Mechanic • Apprentice • Technician – if not providing care • Sign maker or designer • Other
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


Ancillary roles which are not specific to social care and can be found in many different types of organisation. Includes staff at all levels including those with management responsibilities in these work areas.

Also includes the following NHS ‘Support Workers’: laundry workers, sewing room, Hospital Sterilisation & Decontamination Unit (HSDU) and Estates/Facilities.



27. Other job roles (not providing care)


Other job roles (not providing care)
(Job role relevant for both organisations and people who employ their own care and support staff).


Other job roles (not providing care)

Supporting job roles not covered by any of the preceding categories, which are not directly involved in providing care.
28. Personal Assistant (care and support)
Personal Assistant, Care Worker, Support Worker, ‘Carer’ (widely used but technically incorrect)
(Job role only relevant for people who employ their own care and support staff).
Personal Assistants work directly with one or more service users, often direct employers, to support them in every aspect of their daily living and enable them to live as independently as possible.
Direct employers include recipients of direct payments and individual budgets, personal budget holders, people receiving other types of funding to employ staff and people who pay for their staff themselves (self-funders).
Personal assistants carry out a wide range of tasks as required by the individual employer.
Typical tasks include:
 - Personal care, including assistance with bodily functions such as feeding, bathing, and toileting if required; taking food, refreshment and medication; mobility; bed making; monitoring and recording temperature, pulse, respiration etc.
 - Healthcare tasks such as dressings, catheter management, administration of medication.
 - Support to assist with living independently as far as possible, including assistance as necessary with meal preparation, cooking, cleaning and domestic activities, shopping, social and leisure activities, attending appointments, administration and paperwork, assisting with pets and gardening, generally assisting with overall comfort and well being; providing interest and activities to stimulate and engage.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, and the skills, experience and personal attributes required will largely depend on those the individual employer is seeking.
29. Activities Worker or Coordinator
Activities Organiser, Support Worker, Activities Coordinator
The role of these workers is to facilitate the delivery of an activity and social programme to service users in Residentialm Day care, Domiciliarya dn Community Care settings.  They are responsible for supporting residents and ensuring their welfare, seeking to identify and meet their individual needs and stimulating new interests and skills; assisting residents in arranging and participating in social activities within the setting and outside in the wider community.
Activities coordinators are involved in planning, implementing and evaluating a programme for each resident.  They assist in promoting social, intellectual and other recreational activities.
Activities coordinators will usually have experience of working with vulnerable adults in a Residential, Community or Voluntary setting and have experience of organising activities for any of the following groups; older people, carers, learning diabilities, mental health, physically disabled.
Qualifications demonstrating sound literature &numerical skills such as GCSE's Grades A-C in Maths and English are usually required and they will usually have undertaken training in aspects of care practice and might have achieved a QCF Level 2 Diploma in Health and Social Care or a NVQ in Health and Social Care.
A qualification in a relevant activity field such as drama, crafts, exercise, music, reminiscence or similar may also be held.
30. Safeguarding and Reviewing Officer
INdependent Reviewing Officer, Reviewing Officer, Safeguarding Coordinator, Safeguarding Practice Officer, Senior Adult Protection Coordinator, Safeguarding Support Officer, Safeguarding Information Officer.
Occupations whose main tasks consist of ensuring that Social Care emploers deliver high quality services, ensuring that vulnerable service users are protected from abuse.
This role often involves ensuring that statutory requirements and social services departments' policy and procedures are adhered to and ensuring lessons learned from practice are shared to drive service improvement.
This work includes some or all of:
  • arranging case reviews, chairing them and following them up as appropriate
  • involving service users and their carer(s) where appropriate in case reviews
  • monitoring the progress of reviews in commissioning and provider teams/units
  • enabling stakeholders to identify issues relating to the potential abuse of vulnerable service users and planning appropriate responses and ensuring these reponses ar eimplemented
  • contribute to the revision of safeguarding policies an dprocedures in line with direction from regulatory bodies
  • contribute to the creation, planning, delivery and evaluation of training packages to multi-disciplinary staff
  • provide practice guidance, supervision and mentoring to staff involved in safeguarding
May have a mixture of qualifications including professional social work qualification and knowledge of relevant social care legislation.
A Safeguarding Officer will have knowledge of current Safeguarding guidance, related legislation and experience of assessment, care planning and reviewing under Community Care legislation.  They may also have experience of chairing and recording reviews and of multi-disciplinary working.
They may have knowledge or trianing, in areas which could include community care legislation, moving and handling people, equality and diversity, equal opportunities and needs led assessments.
Back to Job Role FAQs

Cant find what you want?

Can't find what you want? Contact Us and let us know.